Friday, September 16, 2022

Where ARE you?

 


Well, this first part of our travel yesterday went as well as it could; we made our connection at O'Hare, did the power walk to our next gate in half an hour, and reached it as they were boarding, so phew!  The flight wasn't horrible, only tiring as neither of us could sleep.  Then we got to the Munich airport, and instead of a horde of people standing in line to get through passport control, it was basically just us!  Brilliant.  So far, so good, and then we got our bags and even found this lovely Lufthansa shuttle bus which will take you into the Munich central train station for 10 euros each, right outside the exit doors.  Then. . .we had thought we would find a user-friendly, modern station with lots of signage, etc.  Instead, we found that we had no idea what to do, we had to haul our suitcases up flights of steps just to get in, and then Randy left me with the bags while he attempted to buy tickets from people who spoke no English.  Someone finally took pity on him, and even with limited English, managed to help him get the tickets.  O.K., that hurdle was jumped, now we had to walk 20 miles (at least!) to where the train was, and we were faced with many more flights of steps down, and then up.  No elevators in sight.  A super nice guy saw our hesitation and came and took BOTH of our bags for us.  People can be so great.  Once we got to Feldkirchen (the suburb where our hotel is located), we had to find the bus that would get us to the hotel.  We found it and got on with no tickets.  This is where it got fun.  Randy held onto the bags while I went up to the front and tried to ask the driver how to pay (again, no English) and he finally just said "it's O.K., no pay".  I turned around to make my way back to RG, and he was GONE.  At one of the stops, he thought we were supposed to get out, so he did, thinking I would just come out of the front.  Honestly, it was like a scene from a comedy. The bus was full of schoolgirls, probably middle school age, and they were all whispering and giggling.  The fact that Randy had left me on the bus was a source of great amusement for them. I just stood there like a deer in the headlights.  I knew we had two more stops until the hotel, so I just figured I would get off there, and he would figure it out, wherever he was.  I tried calling, but at first he still had airplane mode on his phone.  Eventually, he called me, and then got on the next bus and made it to our destination, so all's well that ends well.  😌

1 comment:

Next stop, Salzburg, then Innsbruck!

 After an uneventful train trip to Salzburg, we made our way to our hotel and went in search of dinner, which took us to an obviously popula...